The city is conveniently located in Central Thuringia and thus has good connections to the freeways and with these to all countries of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Ilmenau is located about 40 km south of the state capital Erfurt on the A 71 and B 4, about 80 km north of the Coburg region and about 50 km southwest of Weimar.
- A71 ((Hamburg/Magdeburg) – Erfurt – Stuttgart – (Schweiz)
- A4 (Paris) – Frankfurt/Main – Dresden – (Prag/Warschau/Krakau) in 30 km
- A73 (Hamburg/Magdeburg) – Erfurt – Nürnberg – (München/Wien) in 30 km
- A9 (Skandinavien) - Berlin – München – (Italien) in 80 km
- A38 (Brüssel/Ruhrgebiet) – Göttingen – Halle/Leipzig – Dresden – (Prag) in 100 km
- B87 Ilmenau – Weimar – Naumburg (Saale)
- B88 Eisenach –Ilmenau – Rudolstadt – Jena – Naumburg (Saale)
The ICE junction of the Berlin - Munich and Frankfurt - Dresden lines in Erfurt can be reached via Train
- Airport Erfurt-Weimar (approx. 40 km away)
- Leipzig/Halle Airport (approx. 170 km away via freeway or 2 hrs. by train)
- Frankfurt Airport (approx. 275 km away via freeway or 4 hrs. by train)
- sports airport Pennewitz
The city administration is in regular exchange with the locally active and well-known providers. As a result, two thirds of the household connections in Ilmenau have already been connected with up to 50 Mbit/s using vectoring (see federal broadband map). Further parts of the underserved areas are currently being expanded and should also be supplied with this performance from mid-2021. In consultation with the district of Ilm-Kreis, the remaining so-called white or gray areas are to be expanded via an application for federal funding. The start date for this is not yet known.
In addition, fiber-optic connections have already been laid in some areas, which are more powerful and therefore more promising for the future than the copper cables used to date. A nationwide expansion is to be realized in the next few years. The main focus here will be on connecting the industrial estates. We would be happy to establish contact with the relevant providers today.
You can find more information on our homepage in the News Feed or on the pages of the local providers:
In the school town of Ilmenau you can obtain your school-leaving certificate at various schools. The special school section of the Goethe School Ilmenau deserves special mention. Here, from grade 9 onwards, students with a particular interest and aptitude in mathematics and the natural sciences are supported according to their talents. Vocational training is available at the State Vocational School Center Arnstadt-Ilmenau and CJD Ilmenau. The annual trainee survey confirms the high quality of dual training in our region and the importance of the close proximity to the vocational school.
At Technische Universität Ilmenau, you can not only study, but also further your education at the Central Institute für Continuing Education.
Other continuing education providers:
- area: 198.69 km²
- population: 38,299 (main residence as of 31 December 2021)
- property tax A: 275%
- property tax B: 440%
- trade tax: 420%
Further structural data can be found here