The economy of Ilmenau
Future meets tradition in the technology location Ilmenau.
Today the economy of the city is characterized by
- technology-driven companies,
- the Technische Universität Ilmenau and
- research and transfer insitutions.
The focus is on the following fields of innovation
- industrial production and systems
- sustainable and smart mobility and logistics
- sustainable energy supply and resource management
- healthy living and the healthcare sector
as well as the cross-sectoral field of information and communication technology, innovative and production-related services.
Numerous craft and service companies complete the range of services offered by this attractive business location.
With the Technology and Incubator Center Ilmenau and 18 business parks and industrial parks, 5 of which are in the immediate vicinity of the campus of the Technische Universität Ilmenau, excellent conditions have been created for start-ups, settlements and growth.
The integration into the Ilmenau Arnstadt Technology Region and the Thuringian technology triangle Erfurt - Jena - Ilmenau, the proximity to the industrial area Erfurter Kreuz as well as the local location of company networks and competence centers enables resident companies to benefit from diverse cooperation and innovation potentials.